Monday, August 16, 2010

heard in the rickshaw

If you live in an Indian metro, and like me, you do not own a car, then chances are that you would be a part of many a conversation with the rickshaw wala. After all, the guy has things to share, and if you lead him on, there is no limit to the information you might receive. I for one have a lot of these conversations. Keeps me busy you see.

Most of the times, its about the state of the world. Sometimes, it could be about religion, and hatred. Today, it was about desi ghee. I don’t know what that means in English, so just google it if you cannot infer.

Just as I hopped on the rick at Hiranandani, Powai, Mumbai, the strong acrid smell of something burning tingled my nostrils. I coughed twice, then enquired about the source to the obviously all knowing rick guy.

He replies: “It’s the smell of burning desi ghee”

I nod in agreement, hoping for the smell to subside as we move further towards my destination – Juhu. He continues: “You know why these people burn desi ghee?”. I have a slight idea, so i tell him that it could be for some pooja or havan which rich people conduct to purify their souls. He nods, and then commences a baiting of rich religious practices so cruel, that Al Gore could be seen smoking at the south pole before his conviction weakened.

The rants ranged from the usual “fraud pundits”, “god is in the heart” to amazing ones such as “if docs prescribe magical rings, then it’s ok, but uneducated babas should refrain from the same”. All this time, I was receptively imbibing the one-sided expression. I dared not open my mouth, lest he get re-opinionated.

When I was finally dropped off at my place, I asked him whether he meant what he said. He replied:

“Arre sir koi baat karne ko mil jaata hai to dil khush ho jaata hai, nahi to main to kuch bhee bakwas karta rehta hoon”

Translation:
”Sir, if someone talks to me, my heart gets flush with glee, otherwise I just mutter nonsense all the time”

As he zoomed off, I stood there, dumbfounded.

Am I of the rare breed who engages in conversation with the very people who serve me? What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

you were sent to earth for a purpose. This is part of the same. Comment away....